Friday, October 29, 2010

L No catched up with Marcus D'Tray... do your homework!

I told you on Twitter (yes you need to follow us at www.Twitter.com/LiveFromTheDub) that when I got back from Arizona that we had some super huge updates for y'all! L No caught up with one of WV's top hip hop talents, Marcus D'Tray! Enjoy.....



For all you veterans and noobs out there, take notice. Marcus D’Tray has been establishing himself as one of the most renowned producers in WV history for over 10 years now. He’s had more major-label quality placements than anyone that I know of, and has produced a string of local bangers as well. Now repping Charlotte, NC, D-Tray is still in the lab perfecting the craft, and still landing placements left and right. D-Tray was kind enough to take some time out of his schedule to kick some facts with me, and open the curtain to give the Dub a peek into his life. Relax and take notes suckas!

L-NO: This has kind of become a token question, but I think it’s a good one for you. A lot of people newer to the scene might not know how you got your start. Tell us about how you got started producing locally and some of the people you worked with.

D’Tray: I started messing with music around 14, I actually met 6’6 around that time, and he had a whole notebook full of songs. I had a bootleg drum machine and a mic at my house we used to mess around on. When I was about 18 I got real serious with it and bought a bunch of real equipment and just tried to learn it all, I did my album, did a lot of songs for 6, Paycheck, the whole Reconz, Ace Beanz, anybody who was hot around that time in Morgantown.I didn’t start to try and sell tracks to Major artists till about 3-4 years ago

L-NO: I hear that you’re down in Charlotte these days? How did you choose Charlotte, and at what point did you feel the need to move away from WV to expand your opportunities?

D’Tray: I didn’t pick Charlotte so much for music; I got married and my wife had a job down here. Since I can work from anywhere, this is where we are right now. 80% of everything I’ve placed so far was done while I lived in Morgantown, so it’s possible to make progress from WV.

L-NO: Are you still working with anyone locally?

D’Tray: Most def, I’m working with Tiger, I try to get hooks from Wilz P every time I can. Dante records at my studio a lot, I’m really busy but I got tracks for whoever is serious.

L-NO: Who is your favorite MC in WV?

D’Tray: I mess with a lot of artists from WV so I can’t say MC wise, but my favorite album out of WV history is Grim Reaper Theme Music (Paycheck Game). There was something special about that one when it dropped.

L-NO: How has your production setup evolved over the years? What does your setup look like these days?

D’Tray: It’s changed from PC, to Mac and Logic now. I still use mostly keyboards instead of soft synths, I’m outta control with the keyboards, and I have about 7 in here right now, analog to virus, Moog, plus all the regular fantoms and stuff. I just started using to Maschine instead of my MPC and I’m lovin that right now.

L-NO: How would you describe your production style? What is your favorite method of getting new sounds/samples?

D’Tray: I guess I would call it a very heavy sound, there is always a lot going on; that’s just me, I can’t change that. I have bought sounds and downloaded all types of kits, I have live 50 gigs of just drums, but I always make about 20-30 kits and just stick with them. The trick is to resample them through something old and gritty that makes them knock. Keyboard wise, I just turn the knobs until it sounds good.

L-NO: Have you had any professional training as far as audio engineering goes or are you self-taught? Who helped you out the most as a new producer starting out?

D’Tray: Engineering wise some people tell me I’m good at that but, I’m not happy with a mix until I’m there with a real engineer in an SSL room and we have about 8 hours to work on a song. If I’m not there they may not mix the song the way I hear it, that happens a lot so far and I want to get it in the paper work that I need to be there for the mix, or the record will lose something that made it dope. Imagine a Timbaland track with everything going on in it, and an outside party trying to decide what should be the main focus of the track; it’s just as important as any step in the process.

I didn’t really have much help, and sometimes that’s a good thing. That way some of your mistakes end up being part of your sound. Everybody I knew had MPC's and I was still using sampling keyboards so they couldn’t really help me much.

L-NO: You’ve had the biggest beat placements of anyone in the state that I know of. What was the first beat you had placed with a major artist, and how did getting that first placement feel?

D’Tray: The “Keep Pushin” record was the first to ever come out nationally, that and the Maino ft Trey Songz. I had a few placements before that but they never came out.The first time Flex played “Keep Pushin” he dropped bombs on it and brought it back twice on Hot 97 in New York. That was a crazy feeling; it makes you want to go back in the studio right then. When my homie Tim called me and said “Hood Love” was on the Sirius Top 20 countdown, and it was playing every hour in New York that was crazy, Check called me and said he heard it on the radio. Those are the times that we work hard for. I can’t say I’m satisfied with that tough, I think everybody wants to be at the top of what they do. But it’s a great start, I feel blessed no doubt.

L-NO: What is your favorite collaboration that you’ve been involved with/what artist do you feel killed one of your beats the hardest?

D’Tray: Sheek always does his thing, there is this unreleased song I was a part of with Scarface, behind Pac he’s my favorite ever so that was nasty to hear.

L-NO: What are you working on right now? Do you have any new collaborations you can speak on?

D’Tray: I’m actually tryin to get some big R&B and pop records placed; I’ve got great writers so I feel good about getting top 40 national records out real soon. We have been sending them to Ciara, Sean Kingston, Willow....
I’m workin on a full album with Mike Smith, I think we can get him a deal, we’ve got a crazy sound together, and it just works. I know my manager said Yayo recorded one last month so hope that makes his album.

L-NO: What is the best lesson you’ve learned regarding the music industry at this point in your career?

D’Tray: I would say that it’s not who is best, it’s who has the most to offer. Relationships are the most important thing after you get nice with what you do. It’s not always the best stuff that makes it, just the best relationships.

L-NO: If you had any advice for the people back in WV trying to make it happen, what would it be?

D’Tray: You have to find what it is your best at and do that. Spend 8 hours a day on it if you can. Don’t approach people in the industry until you have about 20 bangers! A no today doesn’t mean a no tomorrow so keep hitting people with stuff every few months if it’s good.

You have to hear from Jesus for yourself, no one way will work for everyone, but with God all things are possible!





Just to remind you of the new single from Sheek Louch produced by D'Tray here it is again!

No comments: