Wednesday, October 13, 2010

L No with one of the hottest names in the streets and behind the scenes right now... Dirty Hun




Dirty Hun is a name that’s been ringing out in Charleston for years now. I first encountered him around 2003-2004. At the time he was coming up as an MC and was known as the gold grill hookup, and since then he’s pretty much the same dude with one exception. Now he’s gaining almost as much recognition from his abilities as a director and his very popular Dirty Hun Gone Wild YouTube page. I took some time this week to catch up with Hun so he can fill in the Dub with what’s been going on with him…



L-NO: I know you’ve been MC’ing for awhile now, at least since I first heard of you around 03…but in the last couple of years you’re really getting known for your videos and DHGW YouTube page. When did you first take an interest in filmmaking, and how have you gotten to this point? Have you had any formal training or has it mostly been teach yourself, DIY style?

Dirty Hun: I've always had the camcorder in my hand since way back in high school. It wasn't until I created the YouTube channel that I started editing. The feedback kept rolling in so I kept creating videos. It helps when you have children too because you can't be that MC or rapper that you first started out to be. Long as I get to be creative and express my ideas and where I'm from, I'm good. You know what they say, it all started with a dollar and a dream.

L-NO: So for anyone who’s not up on it, tell us a little about the DHGW site, how it came about and what’s going on with it in the future.

DHGW: Well I wanted to start a YouTube channel and me and Ben Grady had all of these ideas. It eventually grew into me doing stuff for other artists because I didn't feel like being in front of the camera anymore. At first it was all funny skits, then I just started shooting videos. I think the channel was / is the first of its kind in West Virginia. It started out a Dirty Hun thing and grew into a business thing. I made YouTube partner and now I'm shooting videos for independent artists for the right price. I keep my prices fair.

L-NO: What is your favorite out of all the videos you have filmed/directed?

DHGW: The Frenchie Bricksquad video was special for me because that is G Baby's dude (R I P G Baby) and I know G Baby would have been there for that, so I just kept thinking of how I was doing that for him. He always said he had me no matter what, and I believe he was there for that one.

L-NO: How do you think the level of videos from WV artists has progressed, both from a conceptual and technical standpoint?

DHGW: The videos is getting better. I've seen a couple good videos that I like. Huey has a couple nice videos. I mean I just think things are getting better with the HD quality. If anything that is what I bring to the table is a chance for the artist to be seen in HD quality and a chance to get good views on the YouTube channel.

L-NO: For any MC’s who are new to being filmed, what advice would you give to put on a good video performance?

DHGW: Portray what is in your music. Give off the same feel. If you was hype in the studio then you are going to want to bring some of that energy to the video. Don't look stupid and sit there being scared. This is your music and your image, so act like it. I don't like using gay words like “swag,” but just because the reader can understand me, bring your “swag”.

L-NO: Do you have plans to do any filmmaking other than music videos, and if so what kind of stuff is on your radar?

DHGW: I plan to make some reality / documentary type stuff soon. I want to put out DVDs and I want to enter film festivals. I am just waiting to get the right ideas in place before I jump into it.

L-NO: Who is your favorite director, and who has been your biggest influence as far as music videos go?
DHGW: Motion Family probably has the dopest videos out right now. I watch every video they put out. I like what the guys over at Film Riot does too even though it's not music videos. Far as movies go even though I'm a big comedy guy, I like what Guy Ritchie does.

L-NO: What’s new for Dirty Hun the rapper, and as a sidebar, something I’ve always wondered is where did the name Dirty Hun come from?

DHGW: I have a new mixtape coming out for free with Live From the Dub and DJ Charlie Blac. You can catch me on that MTP Compilation too. I have an album on iTunes “Still Poverty” hosted by Maino and I have a few bars on that D Man Island of the Lost Souls mixtape. I'm about to be back in the studio soon. That name Dirty Hun is just what they call me haha. You know people gave me that name. The name Dirty has always been there but the Hun part definitely came at the start of this music stuff back in like 04.

L-NO: Who is your favorite WV artist and who would you most like to work with…Either collabing on a track or directing a video for them?

DHGW: I put in some work on that D Man mixtape and the whole process was fun for me especially the mind state I was in at the time. That is all I really listened to lately so I'd have to ride for the home team on that one. It really is a dope mixtape and there is so much songs that didn't make it that is good. I listen to the C Thugs, Bub Vs, Big Chief's always been dope, DOCeasar, Jathara is talented. I appreciate and respect all the artists that put in work for real.

L-NO: Are you planning on staying in WV long term or have you thought at all about moving somewhere new to branch out and network?

DHGW: All I need is West Virginia, a laptop, internet, and a means of transportation. Oh yeah, and a few dollars in my pay pal account.



Make sure you go check out www.ItsHun.com
L-No

No comments: