Monday, October 18, 2010

Tools of the Trade with L-No...

Being the big supporters of those who studied typography and tried to get their hand writing stylish..... we HAD to get an interview with a local underground art hero. ANTI


TOOLS OF THE TRADE: BURNIN THE MIDNIGHT OIL WITH ANTI

These days, at least on a mainstream/popular level, I feel that graffiti is one of the lost elements of hip hop (including breakers…and I don’t mean America’s Next Top Random Dance Crew breakin…I’m talking Beat Street breakin’!) Sure, big companies everywhere are down to use a writer’s talent to sell a bunch of Mountain Dew or X Games or whatever the fuck…but the average fan either doesn’t seem to know much or care much about Graff. That being said, I linked up with WV heavy hitter ANTI so everyone can see what time it is, and if they don’t….well you know the rest…

L-NO : At what age did you get into Graff/what inspired you to start writing?

ANTI : Between Huntington’s railroad and massive roadtrips, I’d been aware of Graff my whole life. At the age of 12 I made a point to completely change my handwriting. Two years later I took it to the streets with all my skater friends… we rode all day and caught tags all night. I quit a few years later because everyone pretty much grew up; no one was writing at all, and I didn’t know how to get where I wanted to be with it. Got back to it with a much better understanding in 2002 and been going hard ever since.

L-NO: How would you describe your style and how has it evolved over the years?

ANTI: What style?!?! My style is what I would call an “Appalachian orphan” it has no parents. No one ever taught me and until 2004 I didn’t meet anyone. SPEAK and IDEAS let me roll with them. In 2005 I met PSST (rip) and he taught me a lot. Then, I met OZ later and he showed me a lot. So I take what I saw and liked the best on the trains and what I liked the best in the state and tried to make it my own. I’m still desperately trying to. It’s an endless mission.

L-NO: What, if any, other mediums of art do you focus on? For example; are you into any other styles like canvas, prints, sculpture, graphic design, etc.?

ANTI: Graffiti killed the fine artist in me. I’ve done a few canvases for people but would rather stick to public assault.

L-NO: What is your ideal scenario to go bombing? Who do you like to write with, what type of spots do you like to hit, best times, etc (without giving away too much info of course)

ANTI: Best scenario: grimy ass cutty spots, rooftops, highways or trains. My partners are level headed businessmen; cool enough to chill in stressful situations and know when to calmly bounce. Timing is everything…..

L-NO: What WV crews do you think are representing right now? (quality of work, quantity of getting up, etc)

ANTI: My crews AKA and DAYONE got the whole state on lockdown.

L-NO: Who do you think are some up and coming WV writers that most people haven’t heard of?

ANTI: KABAL is really going for his right now in Huntington. The streets are hot as fuck and he’s getting up hard. He has a great bomb, good legible tag and a simple piecing style that he aint trying to be the next guy, he’s doing his own thing and I respect that a lot. He knows his history, respects the game and the players. BORT is also someone who holds it down statewide. He has one of the best natural scripts I’ve ever seen. He tags like a fiend and he forges copper blessed by ancient deities. THE RUNS is ill too. He just got real nice with it and his devotion and history is admirable. He’s also a made man.

L-NO: What other WV writer’s style do think is the freshest?

ANTI: OZKER and TEXT

L-NO: What’s the craziest thing you’ve seen while out on a mission?

ANTI: I got shot at and felt the bricks chipping away beside me as I finish my tag; that was nuts. Then the normal shit; bums jacking off, fucking, or shooting up. My friend wants me to tell you about this time at an all ages show in the Chucktown area the cops beat up a bunch of kids. Choke slammed this little girl, sent in a dog and ripped cameras from around their necks…. Well he came back to be more of an asshole and left his cruiser right outside while he went in, and never missing such a golden opportunity; I tagged the shit out of it with swastikas and crosshairs. He came back out and lost his mind. Tons of people saw me do it and no one said shit. He fucking LOST it. WIN!!!

L-NO: What are you into outside of graff? What kinda music/movies are you into, what do you do on your free time?

ANTI: Heavy metal, hardcore, hip hop with soul, intellect, and humor, bluegrass, and punk fucking rawk. Movies I like are bad evil, or real sad. I like billiards, long sunset walks on the train tracks. I like traveling, shitty strip clubs, and sketchy situations. I’m also an ultra weirdo.

L-NO: Where do you see the WV scene going in the next few years?

ANTI: Wherever we take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!











R.I.P Mr. Tools of the Trade PSST aka Meuwl

No comments: